Countries

Chicago Trump rally cancelled amid protests, chaos

Protesters are escorted out of UIC Pavilion before Republican U.S. presidential candidate Donald Trump's rally at the University of Illinois at Chicago March 11, 2016/Photo: Reuters
Chicago Trump rally cancelled amid protests, chaos

Tensions between protesters and Donald Trump supporters caused the last-second cancellation of the presidential candidate’s rally in Chicago. An estimated 10,000 supporters were in the UIC Pavilion and are now facing the thousands of protesters outside.

The crowd inside of the University of Illinois Chicago Pavilion had been waiting for the Republican presidential hopeful to take the stage when an announcement was made to cancel the rally.

“Mr. Trump just arrived in Chicago and after meeting with law enforcement has determined that for the safety of all the tens of thousands of people that have gathered in and around the arena, tonight’s rally will be postponed until another date,” the announcement said. “Thank you very much for you attendance and please go in peace.”

Protesters responded with cheers, while his supporters began chanting, “We want Trump!”

A man attempted to jump on stage, but was removed by security. Several fights have been reported breaking out inside the Pavilion.

The situation outside was no calmer. Videos have surfaced of protesters and supporters nearly coming to blows as both groups had to be restrained.

“You can’t even have a rally in a major city in this country anymore without violence, or potential violence,” Trump told MSNBC’s Chris Matthews.

Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told CNN that there were no reports of injuries or arrests at the event, and that the decision to postpone the rally was not made by the police.

“They did not consult us at all,” he said, according to USA Today. “The decision was made by the campaign on its own.”

Speaking with MSNBC, the GOP front-runner said the campaign “did the right thing.”

“It’s anger in the country,” Trump said. “I don’t think it’s directed at me. Just what’s been going on for years.”

Trump also spoke to CNN over the phone Friday evening, shrugging off questions about his supporters potentially reacting to the protest with force.

“I don’t incite violence, and I certainly don’t condone violence,” Trump said.

Source/RT
CF/AH

Click to add a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Countries

More in Countries

San Juan Mayor: ‘Disaster-In-Chief’ Trump Was ‘Disrespectful’ to Puerto Rico

December 29, 2017

Flagrant Violation in Trial of Ecuador’s Vice President, Defense Attorney Says

December 29, 2017

MI5 Plotted Assassination of Irish PM in 1985 – Paramilitary Group

December 29, 2017

Venezuela’s Cryptocurrency Set to Avoid Financial Attacks

December 29, 2017

China Offers Tax Break to Keep Investors after US Overhaul

December 29, 2017

Israeli Jets, Tanks Launch Fresh Attacks Against Gaza Strip

December 29, 2017

Cuban Revolution Persists Despite Hostility of U.S. Government

December 29, 2017

Corbyn Accuses Tory Brexiteers Of Wanting To Drive UK Off A Cliff

December 29, 2017

Brazil Elections: Intellectuals, Artists Back Lula Candidacy

December 29, 2017
You Can Advertise Here
"The other side of the news!"
Copyright © 2015 Carib Flame. Follow us on Twitter @caribflame