More than 3,000 trips to the island were cancelled in September due to international media hurricane coverage confusing Bermuda and Barbuda.
Glenn Jones, director of public and stakeholder relations with the Bermuda Tourism Authority, said that approximately 3,100 trips were scrapped.
Mr Jones said the 3,100 figure was determined by taking the expected amount of tourists for September based on the August 31 hotel pace report and subtracting the number of visitors that actually came to the island that month. He added: “You might recall September 2017 was pacing ahead of September 2016 by 12 per cent but finished up only 1 per cent on hotel occupancy.
“So basically 3,100 is the difference between pace and actual.”
According to Q3 2017 visitor arrival statistics, each air leisure visitor to Bermuda spent an estimated $1,500-plus on average per person, Mr Jones said.
Kevin Dallas, CEO at the BTA, said earlier this month that the ramifications of the media mix-up were “quick and immediate”.
He added: “People cancelled.”
Source/The Royal Gazette